Universal translator

Website Translation Widget

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Weird Music Wednesday "Who put the Benzedrine in Mrs. Murphy's Ovaltine?" by Harry "The Hipster" Gibson

Hi all! I know it's been a while and I'm fairly sporadic with my posts. Here goes a try though at routine. I''m a huge fan of weird music, as my husband will attest to so I figured I'd share my love of all things wacky with you. Today's music choice is Who Put The Benzedrine in Mrs. Murphy's Ovaltine? by Harry the Hipster Gibson. My Aunties Ella and Beverly introduced me to this song when I was a tween. I would raid their LPs for all of their Dr. Demento and I found this. It prompted me to quickly ask what Benzedrine is. They promptly explained that it was a drug commonly used by housewives to keep their pep back in the day. I always found it hilarious and not what you'd expect for a song from 1947. Sadly, the song helped blacklist him from the music industry. I still love it and hope you can laugh at it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment