Universal translator

Website Translation Widget

Monday, March 12, 2012

Friends from a lifetime ago...

I had a great weekend. I had the opportunity to re-connect with some friends, Andy & Amy, that I hadn't visited with in at least a dozen years. It was really nice. I've known both of them since I was a kid, and Andy even saved me from a rattlesnake when I was a teen. Andy I knew, he is brother to a good friend of mine, and he lived nearby when I was growing up, in Mammoth & San Manuel. I saw Andy pretty often, he was also in Drama with us, and he was a Skater, we had the same circle of friends. I always liked Andy. He was trouble, sure, but who wasn't? I'm rather tickled he got his shit together and is happy and healthy and doing really well. Amy I've known for ages, he mom taught dance in our small town, and I took dance for a couple of years. (I still can't hear Wham! and not think of Donna) When I was too big for dance and too busy in high school her mom was sweet enough to ask me to help out on Recital Days. I'd help out backstage get the little girls ready for their performances. It was always a fun day. I always really dug Amy & her family. They were cool and really funny. I've always felt really lucky to know Amy & her family, and when she married Andy, it was such and incredible, good match. I'm so happy for them and their little ones, they seem so happy. It's wonderful to see.
They were in town for Scott Firefighter Stair Climb, which donates to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and I was really proud that they did. It was refreshing to see how even when a dozen years pass, you can still make each other crack up. Although it was great to see we'd all grown up and gotten on with our lives, we still had the ability to laugh and be ourselves with each other too. It was pretty awesome.In fact I can't say how much I needed that. I've been more or less housebound for a while and it was nice to get out and reconnect with people who were just as wonderful as they've always been ~ to paraphrase Amy. Sometimes when you get older people change, and not in a positive way. Some people give in to the bitterness & anger. These two haven't, they're as hilarious as they have always been, and seem to be getting through their lives, rough spots and all with smiles and grace. We should all be so lucky.
I did, this weekend manage to get to visit Craig. I've lived up here in the Pacific NW since '99 and Craig has been up here for a year longer and we never see each other. It's a shame. It seems we're always too busy or far away (that last part is largely me, haven't  lived in Seattle proper in quite some time). I hope to change that at some point. I miss him and I know reconnecting with friends is important. I need to do it more, and I think Craig could use it too. I'm not sure you can ever have too many friends. It was nice to visit. I hope to make it a more regular activity.
Speaking of old friends, my friend Ryan has joined the world of us bloggers, you can find him here. He's a great writer who I hope to at some point own all his collected works. I'm rather happy to see he's out there getting noticed. I'm hoping at some point his book all about our mutual friend, Rhonda will get published and get noticed. She was a wonderful woman,  an inspiration to me, as well as a friend and I'd like to have more people get to know her, even if it is through Ryan's writing. If you get the chance, check out his writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment